Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
As a lot of what I bake goes to work, this weekend I decided to bake something for the family. I asked my husband what he would like and he asked for Coffee cake.
My mum makes a good coffee cake, although I managed a pretty good one too last year! So this time I decided to try it as cupcakes.
Recently, my sister said I never seemed to like my own cupcakes. It’s true that I’m pretty critical, but I will say if I like what I try. And yesterday, I definitely liked what I tried!
And don’t worry if you don’t have any espresso – I actually just used Kenco Millicano.
Recipe from The Boy and Me.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract
- Sift the flour in with and mix thoroughly
- Stir through the vanilla yoghurt and espresso shot gently
- Fold in the coffee powder
- Divide into cake cases and cook in a preheated oven (200°C/Gas Mask 6) for 12-15 minutes
- Smear chocolate spread around the edges of a piping bag
- Mix together the butter and icing sugar
- Add the milk and espresso powder and beat until light and fluffy
- Spoon into the chocolate coated piping bag
Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes using a large star nozzle. The chocolate spread will come out with the frosting giving it a great two tone effect.
I topped mine with what I thought were chocolate coated coffee beans. Turns out they were just coffee flavoured chocolate beans but they worked well either way!
These cupcakes were a definite hit in this house. And as the rain has finally stopped, we have just enjoyed them with a cup of coffee in the sunshine.
Have a great weekend,