Wow…I’ve had a full week of baking this week so had a pick of things to blog about today. But I have to choose the cupcakes I made for my good friends 30th birthday celebrations.
My friend loves playing games so for her 30th she decided to arrange a scavenger hunt all around Bournemouth. We had 5 teams of 5/6 and we all had a long list of (odd) things we had to photograph or take back. In the evening we had more games and a buffet where we were all asked to bring specific things. We were asked to take sweet baked goods so I settled on chocolate marshmallow cupcakes and carried on her theme with the decorations.
This was the invitation…
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Put the cocoa, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on a slow speen until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug, then slowly pour half of the mixture into the flour mix.
- Beat to combine and turn the mixer up to a high speed to get rid of any lumps.
- Turn the mixer down to a slower speed and slowly pour in the remaining milk mixture.
- Continue mixing for a couple of minutes until the mixture is smooth (be careful not to overmix)
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25mins
While the cupcakes are cooling make the marshmallow filling:
Method for making the filling:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the marshmallow fluff and butter together
- Add in the icing sugar and milk and beat until fluffy
- Once the cupcakes are cooled cut a cone shape out of the centre
- Fill the hole with the marshmallow filling
- Place the cut out piece of cake back over the top to hide the filling
Method for making the buttercream:
- Beat the icing sugar and butter in a freestanding electric mixer on a medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together.
- Turn the mixer down to a slow speed.
- Combine the milk and vanilla extract together in a jug then add to the butter mixture a little at a time.
- Once all the milk has been incorporated add colouring (if using) and turn the mixer to a high speed.
- Beat until light and fluffy – this will take at least 5 minutes! (The longer it’s beaten, the lighter and fluffier it becomes)
Method for decorating:
Obviously you can decorate these however you want to, but this is how I did mine -
ROADS – I used a dark brown sugar paste to create the roads. I rolled it quite thin and cut a long strip out. Then I placed this on the cupcakes to make a round road. A lighter brown was then used for the markings.
GRASS: I used a Grass nozzle to create the grass with the vanilla buttercream.
PEOPLE: I bought some miniature figures from ebay and placed them on the cakes. They stand well in the grass.
BLUE CIRCLES: These were made using blue sugarpaste. I rolled it out and cut it using a cookie cutter. Then I wrote on it using edible icing pens.
And that’s that! HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY JODI!!!
(Our team came second if you were wondering!)