Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
This Saturday I spent a couple of hours making some cupcakes look like ice cream sundaes for my best friends birthday treat. I’m not sure what made me decide to make them, I think I just thought they looked cute.
I used my chocolate rose recipe for these, but after making them realised it would have been much better to do a cherry flavoured cupcake! When I made the frosting, I mixed it together without the cocoa, took a small bit out and then added the cocoa to the bigger part. Then I used the white frosting on the top to look like the cream.
The first job was to make the wafers and cherries. These I made from sugar paste so they would firm up.
- WAFERS: Colour the sugarpaste with an Ivory colour paste. Roll out and cut circles. Use the edge of a blunt knife and make the waffle lines. Cut the circles into eighths and leave to dry
- CHERRY: Colour the paste with a red/pink colour paste (I used a mix). Roll into a small ball. Make a dent on the top and make a hole using a coctail stick (to put the stalk into). Leave to dry
- CHERRY STALK: Colour the sugarpaste with green colour paste. Roll small pieces into thin stalks, bend to shape and leave to dry. Once dry, place into the hole on top of the cherry
While these dry and firm up, make the rest of the topping with fondant icing (I just buy a white pack and colour it myself)
- PINK BASE: Colour the fondant pink, roll out and cut a circle around the same size of the cupcake
- “CHOCOLATE’ SPLODGE: Colour the fondant brown, cut into a circle and then use a sharp knife to cut random shapes
Top the cupcakes with a little frosting and then place the pink circle on top and smooth out. Put some small blobs of frosting on the bottom of the ‘chocolate’ splodge and place on top of the pink icing. Pipe a small amount of white frosting in the middle and top with the cherry. Cut a small slice in the icing with a sharp knife and place the wafer into this.
And that’s it! These look super cute and would go down well for any birthday party! Better than the actual thing as it doesn’t melt and survided the 30minute drive to the restaurant!