Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
I actually made these a few weeks ago and forgot to share them with you. And as Spring officially started this week and the first of the British strawberries are hitting the shops, it reminded me of these beautiful cupcakes. They are so light, fluffy and full of flavour. And they received a lot of praise.
I don’t have much to say this week so I’ll go straight into the recipe (adapted from my Strawberry and Cream recipe).
- About 15 medium strawberries finely diced
- 100g granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornflour
- Make the strawberry filling first.
- Place the strawberries in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir constantly for about 4 full minutes until the strawberry juices have been released.
- Add the sugar and cornflour and continue to stir for another 2 minutes.
- The mixture will be much thicker.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool as you prepare the cupcakes.
- 120g plain flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter – at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- ¼tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
- Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula).
- Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until light golden and the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely
When the cupcakes are cooled, fill them as follows:
- Using a sharp knife, cut a circle/hole into the center of the cupcake to create a little pocket about 1/2 inch deep.
- Place 1 teaspoon of strawberry filling inside and top with the piece of cupcake you removed to seal.
- (You will have leftover filling to use in the whipped cream.)
- 350g whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- reserved strawberry filling
- In a large bowl, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form, about 4-5 full minutes.
- Add the remainder of the strawberry filling and continue to beat for another 30 seconds.
- Frost the cupcakes with the strawberry whipped cream. I find it easier to use a piping bag.
- Meringue – I bought mini meringues and crushed them up
- Strawberry sauce – I used Tesco Finest Forest Fruit Coulis
- Fresh strawberries
- Crush up the meringue and sprinkle over the cupcake
- Drizzle over the coulis
- Add a slice of strawberry
These cupcakes don’t keep very well once you have topped them with everything as the meringue starts to take in moisture and the strawberry slice starts to wilt. So make sure you eat them straight away…I can promise you this won’t be a problem!!