Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
It was my birthday last week so I baked some cakes! Along with tiramisu cupcakes I made these vegan delights. I took them into work and they went down really well.
When I think back to the first time I tried to bake vegan cupcakes, I realise I have come a long way since then. My first attempt didn’t rise and tasted awful. Now I am getting requests for them and people are willing to pay good money for my vegan cupcakes!
These were delicious – not too sweet and with a great peanut butter taste. So good in fact, that I am thinking of making another batch really soon.
Recipe taken from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World.
- 245ml soya milk
- 1tsp cider vinegar
- 150g granulated sugar
- 75g rapeseed oil
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp chocolate extract (or more vanilla extract)
- 140g plain flour
- 35g cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C and add cupcake cases to a muffin tin.
- Whisk the soya milk and cider vinegar together in a large bowl. Set aside to curdle.
- Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract and chocolate extract to the soya milk mixture and beat until foamy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Add the remainder of the wet ingredients and beat until there are no large lumps.
- Divide the mixture into the cupcake liners (I use an ice cream scoop to do this) filling three quarters of the way.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- 60g soya margarine
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening (trex)
- 80g creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp barley malt syrup (optional)
- 1.5tsp vanilla extract
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp soya milk
- Cream together the margarine and shortening at a medium speed of a freestanding mixer until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter, barley malt syrup and vanilla extract and beat until smooth (this can take up to 3 minutes).
- Beat in the icing sugar.
- Dribble in the soya milk, beating until the frosting is pale and fluffy.
- 60ml soya milk
- 115g dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Bring the soya milk to a gentle boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and maple syrup.
- Mix well until the chocolate has fully melted and smooth.
- Leave at room temperature until ready to use.
To put the cupcakes together:
- Cut a small hole in each cupcake and fill with a teaspoon of peanut buttercream before putting the piece of cake back into the hole.
- Dribble a spoonful of chocolate ganache on each cupcake.
- Pipe the peanut buttercream on top of the ganache.
I think my favourite comment was…”That cake was amazing, that turned my morning around!”
So what are you waiting for….go and bake them!!