Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
While away with work recently, I was faced with the hotel breakfast buffet. And in this particular buffet there were Nutella muffins. And yes..I indulged and remembered my love for Nutella. So when the Scranline featured a Nutella Popcorn cupcake on Instagram I knew I had to try them.
I have a favourite chocolate cake recipe so I did make some changes.
Recipe taken from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World.
- 245ml soya milk
- 1tsp cider vinegar
- 150g granulated sugar
- 75g rapeseed oil
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp chocolate extract (or more vanilla extract)
- 140g plain flour
- 35g cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C and add cupcake cases to a muffin tin.
- Whisk the soya milk and cider vinegar together in a large bowl. Set aside to curdle.
- Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract and chocolate extract to the soya milk mixture and beat until foamy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Add the remainder of the wet ingredients and beat until there are no large lumps.
- Divide the mixture into the cupcake liners (I use an ice cream scoop to do this) filling three quarters of the way.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
While the cakes are cooling, make the Nutella popcorn…
- 20g popcorn kernals (I didn’t have any so I used 2 small bags of Tesco sweet popcorn)
- 30g butter
- 25g light soft butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 25g milk chocolate
- 30g Nutella
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 40g chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 100C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Pop the popcorn if required
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup – let this boil for 4-5 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate, Nutella, salt, vanilla extract and chopped nuts
- Pour this over the popcorn and stir to coat
- Spread the popcorn onto the baking tray and bake for 20-30 minutes
When the cupcakes have cooled, cut a small hole out of each and fill with a spoonful of Nutella. Then place the removed piece of cake back on top. This makes for a wonderful Nutella gooey centre.
While the popcorn is cooling down get started on your frosting –
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g butter
- 30ml milk
- a dash of chocolate extract (optional)
- 4 tbsp Nutella
- Beat the icing sugar and butter in a freestanding mixer
- Reduce to a slow speed and add the milk and chocolate extract (if using)
- Add the Nutella and beat on high speed for around 5 minutes
Top your Nutella filled cupcakes with frosting, drizzle over some Nutella (using a piping bag) and top with Popcorn.
These are incredible. And to be honest, you don’t really need the addition of the popcorn – it just makes it look nicer! And if you do add popcorn, make sure you eat them soonish afterwards as otherwise the popcorn will go soggy!