Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Well this is something a little different and it’s not even really a ‘bake’ as the oven isn’t even turned on for these!
I had a little time to kill yesterday afternoon but couldn’t be bothered to go to the shop for any ingredients. So I had a look at what was in the cupboard and then at some recipes that I had previously saved, and this one came up.
I’m not a regular eater of the protein bar as I try to get most of my protein from ‘real’ foods rather than powder, but these looked pretty simple and didn’t have too many ingredients so I thought I’d give them a a go.
They were so easy to make….
- 60g unflavoured whey protein powder
- 30g coconut flour
- 30g ground almonds
- 14g unsweetened cacao powder
- 20g coconut sugar
- 60g espresso (freshly brewed and cooled)
- 50g dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 50g dark chocolate
- Mix together all the dry ingredients
- Add chocolate chips (if using). I also sprinkled in some cinnamon.
- Stir in the cooled coffee
- Mix well
- Divide into 6 pieces
- Shape into bars and place in the fridge to cool
- Melt the dark chocolate.
- Dip the bars into the melted chocolate to coat the bottom and sides
- Drizzle the top of the bar with the remaining dark chocolate
- Leave in the fridge to set
It’s as easy as that. And you could add anything you like to tailor these bars to your taste…..dried fruit, nuts, or a mixture of both! Anything that goes well with coffee really.
They are so gooey and delicious. I’m not really one for anything too sweet anymore, but if your have a sweet tooth you could always add a bit of sweetener.
These are great if you need a little something on the go or after the gym and they’ll fill you up for a while too!
I’ll be making some different varieties of these soon. My only comment would be that the coffee I used wasn’t particularly strong so I’ll have to work on making it a bit stronger for these so the taste really comes through.
Each bar contains….