Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
These Ultimate Triple Chocolate Cupcakes feature 3 different types of chocolate! A mixture of Dark/Extra Dark chocolate sponge with a light and fluffy white chocolate frosting.
I recently received a comment on one of my posts about a cake not being chocolatey enough. And to be honest, I agreed that the cupcake they chose was not the most chocolatey. And it got me thinking…I don’t have any pure, over the top, chocolate cupcake recipes on here! How could this be with my love of chocolate!?
And then, as if by fate, Dr Oetker got in contact with me about their Great Chocolate Bake Competition! A new cupcake creating/decorating competition hosted on the Dr. Oetker Baking Facebook Page.
Dr Oetker are giving people the chance to get creative and show them how imaginative you can be by creating an extra special chocolate based cupcake to enter into the ‘Great Chocolate Bake’, the winner of which will receive a holiday to New York worth £3,000!
That’s got to be worth a try hasn’t it!?
The lovely lady from Dr Oetker sent me out some chocolate goodies the next day and I got to planning my ultimate triple chocolate cupcakes. I wouldn’t usually buy Dr Oetker bars of chocolate so this was a great chance to try them. These cupcakes are so rich that I would definitely buy Dr Oetker Fine Cooks’ chocolate for baking again.
I don’t think these cupcakes will win any awards for the way they look, but if you love chocolate, they are the cupcakes for you! Decorate them any way you like! You could even drizzle another layer of melted chocolate over the top of the white chocolate frosting if there still isn’t enough chocolate for you! Dr Oetker have a great range of decorating sprinkles available.
Recipe taken from Sallys Baking Addiction.
- 115g unsalted butter
- 55g semi sweet baking chocolate (I used 40g dark chocolate and 15g extra dark chocolate)
- 45g cocoa powder
- 95g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs – at room temperature
- 100g granulated sugar
- 50g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside
- Melt the butter and chocolate together. Stir until smooth and set aside to slightly cool. (Be careful if you are using a microwave – chocolate can burn quickly!)
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined. Set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, and brown sugar together until smooth
- Add the cooled butter/chocolate to the egg mixture and whisk until smooth
- Add half of the flour mixture, mix, then half of the buttermilk and mix well
- Repeat until everything is added. Stir until just combined; do not overmix. The batter will be very thick like a mousse!
- Divide the batter between 12 liners in your cupcake pan
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely before frosting
- 170g white chocolate – melted and slightly cooled
- 230g unsalted butter – at room temperature
- 240g icing sugar
- 60ml whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Melt the chocolate and leave to cool
- In a medium bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for 1 minute
- Switch the mixer to low speed and slowly add the icing sugar
- Quickly stir the cooled white chocolate so that it is smooth and add to the butter/sugar mixture
- Switch the mixer to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes until combined and creamy
- Add the cream, vanilla extract, and salt
- Beat for 1 minute until combined
- Frost the cupcakes and top with melted chocolate drizzle and chocolate sprinkles, if desired
This frosting is super light and fluffy! I am not a big white chocolate fan but this is lovely! And when eaten with the rich dark chocolate sponge you will enter that happy chocolate place!