Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 706 calories
- 37 grams of fat
- 36 grams of sugar
A chocolate and coffee cake…..what more do I need to say?
This cake is a delight – layers of a rich coffee cake intertwined with a chocolate, nutty swirl and topped with an espresso crumb topping and mocha ganache!
This morning I had a little search on Pinterest and came across a lovely looking mocha cake. This recipe is adapted from My Baking Addiction.
Ingredients for the crumb topping:
- 70g plain flour
- 85g unsalted butter
- 25g golden caster sugar
- 1tsp instant espresso granules
- pinch of salt
- Combine all the ingredients together with a fork until it comes together when pressed, and chill.
Ingredients for the chocolate swirl:
- 150g dark chocolate
- 30g unsalted butter
- 70g chopped walnuts
- 60ml strong brewed coffee
- 1tbsp granulated sugar
- Melt together the butter and chocolate
- Stir in the chopped walnuts, coffee and sugar
- Set aside
Ingredients for the cake:
- 350g plain flour
- 2tbsp instant espresso granules
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1.5tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp salt
- 0.5tsp ground cardamon
- 170ml strong brewed coffee
- 120g sour cream
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 115g unsalted butter
- 250g granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, espresso granules, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ground cinnamon, salt and ground cardamon. Set aside.
- Whisk together the coffee, sour cream and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add one third of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add half of the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Repeat until all the dried and wet ingredients are combined.
- Spoon in one third of the cake mixture to the lined pan.
- Drizzle over half the chocolate mix.
- Add another third of the cake mixture.
- Drizzle over the remaining chocolate swirl.
- Add the remaining cake batter.
- Sprinkle over the crumb mixture.
- Bake in the oven for around 1hr (mine took around 1hr 20mins….but keep checking regularly after 1hr)
- Leave to cool completely before putting the glazing on.
Ingredients for the mocha glaze:
- 65g dark chocolate
- 120g extra thick cream
- 1 tbsp strong brewed coffee
- Break up the chocolate and put into a dish.
- Heat up the cream – when it starts to bubble pour over the chocolate.
- Let the cream melt the chocolate for a minute or two, then mix well to create a rich glaze.
- Stir in the coffee.
- Pour over the cooled cake.
This cake was a success – it took a bit longer than expected to actually bake, and the ingredient list is long, but it’s actually a really easy cake to make. I think it’s going to be a hit in the office tomorrow.