Easy lemon meringue cupcakes – ideal for beginners!
It’s been another long week, but not quite as long as last week felt. I went to visit my nan in hospital at the weekend and it was lovely to see her little smile when she saw me. She seemed much more positive which rubbed off on me which was great!
The closer we get to organising a work event for 450 people, the more hours I am spending in the office. And after a particularly hard day yesterday, I got home and felt the need to bake rather than sit in front of the TV! And when I saw the lemon curd in the cupboard as I reached in for a jar of pesto for dinner I knew exactly what the choice would be…lemon meringue cupcakes! I’ve made them before and they are a light, fluffy and fresh cupcake.
I have mixed recipes from 2 different books to make these. The cake recipe is from the Hummingbird Bakery and the meringue topping is from the Primrose Bakery.
- 80g unsalted butter – softened
- 280g caster sugar
- 240g plain flour – sifted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest (I didn’t have a fresh lemon so added a small drop of lemon curd)
- 2 large eggs
- 240ml whole milk
- approx. 12 tsp lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and line a muffin tin with muffin cases
- Using a hand-held electric whisk or a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest on a low speed until the ingredients are well incorporated and resemble fine breadcrumbs
- Break the eggs into a jug, add the milk and whisk together by hand
- Pour three quarters of the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix on a low speed to combine
- Increase the speed to medium and keep beating until smooth and thick
- Pour in the remaining milk mixture and continue to mix on a medium speed until all the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth
- Spoon the batter into the paper cases until two-thirds full (I use an ice cream scoop)
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until risen and springy to the touch
- Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin and placing on a wire rack
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, cut out a small hole in the top of each cupcake.
- Fill the holes with a spoonful of lemon curd
- 4 large egg whites
- 225g golden caster sugar (I only had regular caster sugar which worked just as well)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C
- In a clean bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat well until incorporated
- Add the remaining sugar and beat well again until the mixture takes on a glossy sheen
- Pipe onto the cupcakes
- Put the cupcakes on a lined baking tray and return them to the oven for about 15 minutes, until the meringue has set slightly and has a slight golden tinge
- Let the cupcakes cool before serving
And as I am typing this up my wonderful husband just brought me one of these cupcakes. I tried one last night but it was so fresh the cake stuck to the case. It tastes much better tonight!