[schema type=”recipe” name=”Super Easy, Super Tasty Nutella stuffed cinnamon muffins” author=”Rachel Howard” pubdate=”2013-08-11″ image=”http://www.sundaybaking.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nutella-stuffed-cinnamon-muffins-split-700.jpg” description=”A quick and easy recipe for cinnamon muffins stuffed with Nutella and then covered with a cinnamon sugar. ” prepmins=”5″ cookmins=”20″ yield=”12″ ] It feels like I haven’t baked anything for ages! So this morning I decided that today was definitely going to include baking. I had a look around for inspiration and decided on some baileys cupcakes. So we got up early, wrote the shopping list and went to a few garden centres to try to find some roses to plant outside the front door. Then we went to meet friends for lunch. It was so lovely sat in the beer garden that time ran away with us and we didn’t leave until just gone 4 meaning the shops were closed. The Baileys cupcakes will have to wait…maybe I’ll have time midweek!
I had 2 eggs left so searched for a recipe where I had all the ingredients and this one came up. I don’t make muffins very much, but these are so easy! Honestly….you can mix it all up in one bowl. And they are super quick as you don’t have to ice them. Just dip then in a yummy cinnamon sugar. My husband doesn’t actually like Nutella so I kindly substituted this for Cadburys Chocolate Spread. [callout title=Ingredients for the Muffins]
- 150g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 200g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 240g milk
- 420g white whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 teaspoons Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 220C
- Spray a muffin tin with cake release spray and set aside (You can use muffin cases if you prefer)
- Using an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar together on a medium speed
- Slowly mix in the egg, vanilla extract and milk
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Spoon 1 heaped tablespoon of muffin mix into each muffin hole in the tray. Layer with 1 tsp Nutella in the centre and then top with another teaspoon of muffin mix.
- Bake at 220C for 5 minutes
- Leave the muffins in the oven and reduce the oven to 180C. Bake for a further 13-15 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for about 5 minutes.
- While the muffins are cooling, make the sugar coating
[callout title=Ingredients for the sugar coating]
- 50g granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter
- Melt the butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave (until fully melted)
- In a separate small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon
- Dip the top of each muffin into the melted butter and dip into the sugar mixture – make sure each muffin is well coated.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack.