Wow…I’ve had a full week of baking this week so had a pick of things to blog about today. But I have to choose the cupcakes I made for my good friends 30th birthday celebrations.
My friend loves playing games so for her 30th she decided to arrange a scavenger hunt all around Bournemouth. We had 5 teams of 5/6 and we all had a long list of (odd) things we had to photograph or take back. In the evening we had more games and a buffet where we were all asked to bring specific things. We were asked to take sweet baked goods so I settled on chocolate marshmallow cupcakes and carried on her theme with the decorations.
This was the invitation…
[callout title=Ingredients for the Chocolate cupcakes:]
- 100g self raising flour – sifted
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter – at room temperature
- 120ml milk (Full fat if you’ve got it, semi skimmed if you haven’t and skimmed if you’re mad)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Put the cocoa, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on a slow speen until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug, then slowly pour half of the mixture into the flour mix.
- Beat to combine and turn the mixer up to a high speed to get rid of any lumps.
- Turn the mixer down to a slower speed and slowly pour in the remaining milk mixture.
- Continue mixing for a couple of minutes until the mixture is smooth (be careful not to overmix)
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25mins
While the cupcakes are cooling make the marshmallow filling:
[callout title=Ingredients for the filling:]
- 125g marshmallow fluff (I got mine from Sainsburys but it is also sold in Waitrose and Asda)
- 50g unsalted butter – at room temperature
- 50g icing sugar – sifted
- 1 tsp milk
Method for making the filling:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the marshmallow fluff and butter together
- Add in the icing sugar and milk and beat until fluffy
- Once the cupcakes are cooled cut a cone shape out of the centre
- Fill the hole with the marshmallow filling
- Place the cut out piece of cake back over the top to hide the filling
[callout title=Ingredients for the vanilla buttercream:]
- 250g icing sugar – sifted
- 80g unsalted butter – at room temperature
- 2 tbsp milk
- A couple of drops of vanilla extract
- Green food colouring (this is just for my design)
Method for making the buttercream:
- Beat the icing sugar and butter in a freestanding electric mixer on a medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together.
- Turn the mixer down to a slow speed.
- Combine the milk and vanilla extract together in a jug then add to the butter mixture a little at a time.
- Once all the milk has been incorporated add colouring (if using) and turn the mixer to a high speed.
- Beat until light and fluffy – this will take at least 5 minutes! (The longer it’s beaten, the lighter and fluffier it becomes)
Method for decorating:
Obviously you can decorate these however you want to, but this is how I did mine –
ROADS – I used a dark brown sugar paste to create the roads. I rolled it quite thin and cut a long strip out. Then I placed this on the cupcakes to make a round road. A lighter brown was then used for the markings.
GRASS: I used a Grass nozzle to create the grass with the vanilla buttercream.
PEOPLE: I bought some miniature figures from ebay and placed them on the cakes. They stand well in the grass.
BLUE CIRCLES: These were made using blue sugarpaste. I rolled it out and cut it using a cookie cutter. Then I wrote on it using edible icing pens.
And that’s that! HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY JODI!!!
(Our team came second if you were wondering!)