[schema type=”recipe” name=”Salted Caramel Cupcake Recipe” author=”Rachel Howard” pubdate=”2015-03-08″ image=”http://www.sundaybaking.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Salted-caramel-cupcake-4-700.jpg” description=”Salted Caramel Cupcakes – A delicious chocolate sponge filled with salted caramel and topped with a salted caramel frosting.” prepmins=”20″ cookmins=”20″ yield=”12″ ]
I’ve had a few months off the blog for various reasons and now I am ready to slowly come back to it. Those of you that follow my Facebook page may have seen the request for these, but for those that don’t, here it is…
How could I refuse?! I also love salted caramel and when I found a recipe in my favourite Hummingbird Bakery book I couldn’t believe that I hadn’t already tried these.
These cupcakes were pretty quick and easy to make and didn’t involve making caramel which is what appealed to me.
[callout title=Ingredients for the sponge:]
- 70g unsalted butter
- 170g plain flour
- 250g caster sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 210ml whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line the muffin tin with paper cases
- Mix together the butter, flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a freestanding electric mixer until they form a crumb like consistency
- In a jug mix together the eggs and milk with a fork
- With the mixer on low, slowly pour half of the milk mixture into the crumb mix – mix until well combined
- Increase the speed until the batter is smooth and thick
- Once all the lumps have gone turn the speed back down to low and add the remaining milk mixture and will until smooth
- Spoon the batter into the paper cases (two-thirds full)
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes
- Leave to cool slightly before removing them from the tin
[callout title=Ingredients for the filling]
- Once the cupcakes are cool, use a sharp knife to cut a hole in the middle
- Remove the cut out piece but keep it!
- Spoon about 1tsp tinned caramel into each hollow
- Sprinkle a small amour of salt over the caramel
- Replace the cut out piece of sponge
[callout title=Ingredients for the frosting:]
- 670g icing sugar
- 210g unsalted butter
- 70ml whole milk
- 30g tinned caramel
- Pinch of good quality salt (Maldon)
- Using an electric mixer gradually mix the icing sugar and butter together on a low speed
- Gradually add the milk
- Add the tinned caramel and sea salt and mix thoroughly
- Turn the speed to high and beat until light and fluffy
Frost the cupcakes with the frosting. I then placed the remaining tinned caramel into a piping bag and swirled it on the top. I ale sprinkled a little bit more sea salt onto the top.
It’s pretty hard to get the amount of salt right on these – you don’t want a really salty cupcake yet you do want the salt to come through if they are meant to be salted caramel flavour! So I did end up adding a little bit more sea salt to the top after the first tasting.
My husband said the sponge part of these were the best I have ever made…it may have been due to the fact that I accidentally added a bit too much cocoa powder to the mixture, or maybe it was just good for me to have a little break from baking. Either way, these were delicious and even tempted me away from my low sugar diet for a minute!