If you have seen my last post you will already know that last weeks challenge was to make cupcakes for 3 year old twins that love Peppa Pig and Trains.
A guide on how to make Peppa Pig can be found *here*
So when I had the Peppa Pig idea down, I had to work out how to make Train cupcakes. Again, I searched online for ideas and most of them were of Thomas the Tank Engine and a lot were flat images printed on edible paper. I was beginning to think that this was the way I would have to go when I stumbled upon these images of some sweet trains. And as soon as I saw them I knew I had to try them….trains made out of lego sweets! AMAZING IDEA!
I didn’t see the idea until late in the week and with the bank holiday weekend looming, I knew I wouldn’t be able to order the sweets online in time. So I tried Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe on Poole High Street and they had everything I needed.
Strawberry milkshake flavoured cupcakes seemed perfect for a birthday cake flavour.
[callout title=Ingredients for the cake]
- 70g unsalted butter – softened
- 210g plain flour – sifted
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 210ml milk – full fat
- 2 large eggs
- 40g strawberry milkshake powder
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3 / 170°C and line the muffin tins with paper muffin cases
- In a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment mix the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together until they form a crumb like consistency
- In a jug, mix together the milk, eggs and strawberry milkshake powder
- With the mixer on a slow speed, gradually pour half of the liquid into the crumb mixture and mix thoroughly until combined
- Raise the speed of the mixer to medium and beat until the batter is smooth and thick
- Once all the lumps are gone, turn the speed back down and gradually pour in the remaining liquid, continuing to mix until the batter is smooth and combined
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake cases filling them two-thirds full (I use an ice cream scoop to make it easier and more even)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Leave to cool slightly before removing them from the tin and placing on a wire rack to cool before icing
[callout title=Ingredients for the frosting]
- 500g icing sugar – sifted
- 160g unsalted butter – softened
- 50ml milk
- 100g strawberry milkshake powder
- In a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment gradually mix together the icing sugar and butter on a low speed until combined and there are no large lumps of butter
- In a jug, mix together the milk and strawberry milkshake powder
- Gradually pour the liquid into the frosting while mixing on a slow speed
- Add a dash of green food colouring
- Turn the mixer up to a high speed and beat the frosting until light and fluffy
Method for the grass:
(I put a strip of green fondant down through the middle of the cake first and then piped on a train track using a chocolate icing tube to draw on the tracks)
- Use a grass nozzle to pipe out the frosting onto the cakes. I found this stage quite difficult so would recommend adding slightly more milk to the mixture to soften it up so it comes out of the nozzle easier.
[callout title=What you need to make the Trains]
These are really easy to put together –
- Take a 6 dot brick and a 2 dot brick and glue them together
- Glue a 4 dot brick and glue this to the top of the bricks you have just stuck together
- Glue 3 ‘wheels’ to one side of the bricks. Leave these to dry for a while (I left them for a good hour!)
- Turn the train over and glue 3 ‘wheels’ to the other side. Leave to dry again
- Glue a mini marshmallow (I cut mine in half) to the top
It’s as easy as that! Place them on the train track and they are ready to eat…
Cute little cupcakes for any child with a train obsession!