[schema type=”recipe” name=”Easy Lemon Cupcake Recipe” author=”Rachel Howard” pubdate=”2013-11-25″ image=”http://www.sundaybaking.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Lemon-Cupcakes-top-700.jpg” description=”Light and fluffy lemon sponges, filled with sweet lemon curd, topped with smooth lemon frosting and a sprinkling of lemon sherbert.” prepmins=”15″ cookmins=”20″ yield=”8″ ]Light and fluffy lemon sponges, filled with sweet lemon curd, topped with smooth lemon frosting and a sprinkling of lemon sherbert.
I know they are not the most festive of bakes, but yesterday I was baking for a cupcake order and this included lemon cupcakes. And having just tried the one left over I decided I have to share the recipe with you. They are probably the best lemon cupcakes I have tried.
The recipe is adapted from a basic Hummingbird Bakery recipe. The only problem I found is I was expecting to make 12 cupcakes but it only made 8 (and 1 little one for me to try!). So if you want to make more than 8 I would scale up the recipe.
[callout title=Ingredients for the Sponge:]
- 120g plain flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 tblsp grated lemon zest
- 40g unsalted butter – softened
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- Set the oven to 170c and line a muffin tin with paper cases
- Place your dry ingredients, zest and butter in a mixer and beat together until sandy in texture
- Add in the milk, before following with the egg
- Mix for a further couple of minutes until the mixture is smooth
- Fill the cases about 2/3 full
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes
- Leave to cool
[callout title=Ingredients for the filling:]
- 8 spoons of Lemon Curd
- When cooled use a sharp knife to cut a small piece of cake out from the middle
- Fill the hole with a spoon of lemon curd
- Place the cut out piece of cake back on top of the lemon curd
[callout title=Ingredients for the Frosting:]
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp Sicilian lemon extract or organic lemon flavouring
- 25ml whole milk
- curls of lemon zest/jelly lemon slices for decoration (optional)
- Lemon sherbert (optional)
- Beat together the sugar, butter and lemon extract until fully mixed
- Slowly add the milk
- Turn up your mixer to a high speed and beat for around 5mins until the frosting is super-smooth and light
- Pipe the frosting onto each and allow to settle for a few minutes before adding the final touches..
They are so light and the addition of the lemon curd in the middle makes them extra tasty. And if you have time you could make the lemon curd yourself to make them extra yummy.